Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Name of the game: SORE

Well, last night kicked my butt! My first ever booty camp may have been the hardest physically draining thing I have ever done. Although I found it really hard and didn't seem to be able to complete everything with the ease and grace I had hoped, I did get the best workout I have ever had. For those who don't know what bootycamp is like, this is how my experience went!

First, I got there a little early - to make sure I knew exactly where to go and to get myself pumped. There was a class just finishing, so I sat back and watched them. I almost left - it looked so hard and I kept thinking, how am I supposed to do that??? Well, it was time for my class. As the other ladies strolled away. I set up my mat and met some of the girls in my group. Everybody is really nice and most of all, everybody except one girl (who was really motivational to us!) had never done bootycamp before. We were all virgins - that helped a lot! I didn't feel alone - I felt like I could do it because they could do it!

So - we started. Within minutes I was sweating and I hate to sweat. I didn't want the other girls to think I was really bad and out of shape, so I pushed myself to keep going and push past the sweat. Within a couple more minutes we were doing push-ups. Now, let me tell you - I don't do push-ups and can't even do a real one. I can only do them on my knees. I was thrilled to see that almost everybody else was doing them on their knees! Success - I did them. By this time, my arms were burning - so it was a welcome change to do some lunges. Never say that phrase again! I had no idea how many types of lunges there could be. HARD! I am sweating through my clothes (thank God I wore black) and everything was shaking. I thought I was going to throw up. Well, then we had to run. Oh gosh, more running, but this time it was zig zags. Then back to do more triceps, lunges, push-ups, abs, legs, running, lunges, lunges, lunges - ahhh stretch!

I have never felt so many feelings at once: throw-up, shake, burn, don't be a baby, don't disappoint, other people are doing it so can you, remember your wedding dress, if your sister can do it so can you, ouch this hurts, oh I can't breathe, no I can do this, count out loud, find something to focus on, there are so many bugs, breathe, you're doing it, crap you just fell, get back up, drink some water, no you'll have to pee, stop thinking and just work work work work, wow we're done and I want more!

So here are my thoughts, you will surprise yourself. You don't have to athletic to do bootycamp. You don't have to be able to do push-ups. You don't have to know how to do anything, they teach you and push you to your breaking point and then a little above that. At one point I felt like giving up - I was dripping with sweat, my legs felt like jelly and I thought I was going to throw up but I was pushing past it and trying to do the best I could do. They don't ask for more! The other girls are a great motivation. I am excited to get to know them and most of all change our bodies together. Working out in a community fills some social need I have but pushes me to do my best. I can't give up because I'd be letting these girls down and we can push each other to succeed. We are all there for different reasons, but we can help each other push past the pain and reach our goals.

Finally I just want to say how AMAZING my instructor Sandra is. Not only is she a great example of how to be fit and own your body, she pushes you past where you think you can go. She doesn't yell at you or make you feel stupid, rather she holds your head up and gives you the perfect motivation. I am so lucky to have her teaching me and showing me how to succeed. I do not want to disappoint her - so I am going to work as hard as possible! I will make her proud!!!

So with that I say, don't quit and don't give up! You can do it - and you can make a difference in your body. Focus on what you want and push past the pain. The next day you will feel sore - so sore in fact that I did not do my hair today - hurt to much to put my hands up. BUT it's worth it. I feel really confident that I can drop the inches and tone myself up! I can feel the muscles already - and that means they are working. With an incredible instructor like Sandra and amazing bootycamp team members, I know I will reach my goal. It may be hard but it's worth it. If you want to challenge yourself, do bootycamp. I have my sister and my friend Nat to thank for pushing me to do bootycamp! It works for them and it will work for you.

Tomorrow is another bootycamp - wish me luck!

xoxo E

1 comment: