Monday, July 18, 2011

Another round of firsts

On July 10 we celebrated C's birthday with a very special Mexican Fiesta party at his cottage. It was a blast! Everybody seemed to have had a great time, plus I got to try out my hand at cooking Mexican foods from slow roasted beef and chicken to dirty rice. It was a feast indeed! A big thank you to our friends for coming and to some new friends K & A for bringing fireworks! That's a way to cap off a great night ;)

After work on Monday, I started to feel really sick. Ah...I had the flu...fever, aches, chills, nausea and many other flu like symptoms. I couldn't eat and could barly move from my bed to the couch. For the first time in mnay years I was not alone...C lived with me. Finally I could be taken care of and not have to figure out how to get gingerale or crackers. It was Tuesday at 10:00pm when I realized, C had not come home and I was alone. The whole week while I was in bed sick with the flu my new husband was working on his car at his parents house, coming home only to sleep and always after I was in bed for hours already. This marked our first fight as Mr. and Mrs. Martin. I have the flu. I cannot move. I cannot go to the store to get myself gingerale or any other items I may need. I was sick.C was busy working on his car, not working on getting me crackers! In those few days of being sick I felt worse than I had felt in a long time. How can you be married, have a partner and not have anybody to take care of you? I cried many times that week - some tears of pure hurt and some of shame that I felt so alone. I still don't really understand how you can avoid your sick wife for a week? I get that life doesn't stop just because I am sick, however I would appreciate a quick check in, some supplies and perhaps a hug before going to work on cars. Yes...the battle continues....cars vs Elizabeth. I hope I win next time.  

After my illness kicked my butt. My sister and her crew came over for a visit. It was so nice to see my nephews and my sister! Seeing them really lifted my spirits. I felt better, I felt people cared, time to move on. On Saturday my mom and aunty joined me for a girls night out - which entailed an incredible dinner at Tundra (Hilton Hotel - amazing summerlicious menu - check it out!). Then we crossed the street and watched Donny and Marie Osmond at the Four Seasons Centre. First, I have been a HUGE fan of Marie Osmand my entire life. Every summer I would watch Gift of Love, which she starred in. I was determined to be her one day...that hasn't happened but I was excited to see her! Sadly, she did NOT perform! No, she was sick...which meant Donny had to do the full show. OH the maddness of people. I have never seen so many Walking on a Cloud wearing laides be so mad. People were screaming for their money back. Instead of yelling, or being upset, we decided to get an upgrade on our tickets. WE had the best view of Donny Osmand...and I must say he has aged well! It was a good show. After we tried to sneak in a hello, however he was too tired to say hello, give an autograph or take a picture with the many women waiting at the stage door. My opinion of him is not as great as it used to be, but hey he's kinda old so I guess he needed a nap. Anyway, the best part of the whole show was enjoying it with my mom and aunt. We always have fun together and never stop laughing. The older I get the happier I am that my family is so awesome. I am a relaly lucky girl. I am determined to do more nights like that - but next time my sister will have to join us! The four of us Sweet/Guy/Newcomb/Martin girls...out on the town! Good times ;)

I am hoping this week turns out to be full of laughter and good times! Stay tuned...another marital story coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment