Monday, June 27, 2011

A true married weekend


Time to cut the cake!
 This weekend turned out to be my dream of what married life would be. To some, my weekend would seem dull and boring but to me, it was magical! Strap yourself in, here is my exciting weekend.

Friday
After working for what seemed like a 20 hour day (in actuality it was 7 hours), I raced home to get ready for our first dinner party with our engaged friends N&A. What a blast, C and I worked really well together! While C worked on his famous BBQ beer can chicken, I wiped the bathroom down, cleaned up the living room and vacuumed. While C was outside, I cleaned up the kitchen and started in on my side dishes and dessert. Thanks for my wonderful kitchen aid stand-mixer, my cream whipped for dessert as I put together one of the best dressings I have ever made:

Warm Gorgonzola Dressing.
4 strips maple bacon
3/4 cup of olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp salt
1 clove of minced garlic
2 oz of crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese
handful of toasted slivered almonds

Cook bacon until very crispy, put to side. Toast slivered almonds in a bit of bacon fat. put to side. In a blender mix olive oil, red wine vinegar, white sugar, salt, garlic and cheese until smooth. Put into sauce pan, add crumbled bacon and almonds. Heat and serve on green spinach.

 After that was done, C helped set the table and chop the veggies for the meal while I prepared our appetizer of caprese salad with smokey vinegar and rosemary olive oil. The night was so much fun, two couples making chit chat and dreaming of joint vacations. Hearing about N&A's wedding planning so far was a blast! I remember the fun initial planning, when people were asking questions and looking at you with awe when you said where you were getting married. Their wedding is sure to be a good time and happens to fall on our first year anniversary weekend! What a blast to remember our wedding and celebrate our friends commitment. When they left, we hugged and said how grateful we were for friends like them and how happy we were to share our first married dinner party with them.

On Saturday, as C slept I finished cleaning up the kitchen, emptied the dishwasher, made coffee and started on three loads of laundry. While watching Oddities on Discovery Channel, we drank our coffee and ate my homemade egg mcmuffins with the left over maple bacon - amazing. Finally it was time to shower and get ready for the day. I jumped in the shower first, since I take the most time. Sadly, the shower head broke and hit me on my mouth. Startled and shaking I ran out of the shower to a man watching racing videos who was not so happy to be interrupted. He asked, "What did you break?" With a quivering voice I said, "the shower head fell off and hit me in the face. It hurts." With that the tears started to flow. C went to fix the shower and I sat on the couch, in tears and checking to see if my teeth were broken. He came out, telling me it needed a part that we can get at Canadian Tire. He proceeded to hug me and tell me it was all ok. That moment I became aware, I was truly not alone and had a man who cared about my teeth. Joyful.

The feeling of over the moon love didn't stop after a trip to Ikea for a dresser and Canadian Tire for the part. It only grew as we went to visit my ill grandma and see our nephews. I was happy. Happier than I knew. I really did love this man!

Sunday, another great day. It started off with a very nice welcome back to Church after getting married. It was a thrill to hear Mr. and Mrs. Martin and sit once again among our friends in the place we said I do. I had to hold back the tears through-out the service at the memories of the greatest day of my life. After we grocery shopped, ate food, ironed, changed the bed and watched Myth Busters on Discovery.

This weekend was exactly as I wanted it to be. We did all the married people things, like errands and laundry but most of all I actually took a breath to feel just how happy I am. We can get really busy but to have weekends like this reminds me of what I always dreamed a marriage would be, full of love and laughs. I have a good man and I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment